Monday, January 4, 2010

Water Logged

The earth is 71% water.
Our bodies are 60% water, with our brain 70% water, and our lungs 90% water. Even our blood is 83% water.
We all know by now that water is essential to every living thing on this earth. We can't live longer than a few days without water. We generally understand that we need more water during pregnancy because our developing baby takes a lot of it, leaving our own bodies without enough water to stay regular. But water seems to have a huge role in how we feel. Not only to stay constipation-free, but to prevent morning sickness.. yay!

During the first weeks of pregnancy, when morning sickness really seems to kick in, an expectant mom's body is extremely busy. Making a heart, brain, and every other tiny organ is hard work. Our bodies are also generating copious amounts of fluid to build up the amniotic sac. In his book, Your Body's Many Cries for Water, Dr. Batmanghelidj states "During the intrauterine stage of cell expansion, water for cell growth of the child has to be provided by the mother. However, the transmitter system for water intake seems to be produced by the fetal tissue, but registers its effect on the mother. The very first indicator for water needs of the fetus and the mother seems to be morning sickness during the early phases of pregnancy. Morning sickness of the mother is a thirst signal of both the fetus and the mother."

Now, I did drink tons of water, and still managed to get queasy. I'm sure water isn't the ONLY reason for morning sickness, but it makes complete sense that it is at least a reason. I know personally, that days after I don't drink as much water as I should I feel MUCH worse than days when I hydrate completely. I don't know how many glasses of water is the magic number, but I know how much I'm drinking by how much I have to pee. I aim for a good potty break once an hour or hour and a half.

This is another amazing fact that doctors don't seem to tell us. Next time you feel nauseated, it would probably be a good idea to reach for a big fat glass of water instead of the Zofran.

Cheers!!

F. Batmanghelidj, M.D.. Your Body's Many Cries for Water; You're not sick, you're thirsty! Global Health Solutions, Inc., 1997.

2 comments:

  1. You can also tell if you at least getting the minimum amount of water you need by the color of your pee. Ewwwwww...but really. It should be relatively clear. I'm sure you knew that already. :-) I should be drinking more water even though I don't have a wee bairn on the way. What's your take on carbonated water??

    ReplyDelete
  2. I quite like carbonated water. As long as it is just carbonated and has no added sodium or anything else, it would be just as hydrating. Lately i have been drinking a lot of carbonated water with lemon since it seems to help the nausea, and its easier to drink tons of water if it is at least interesting. :)

    ReplyDelete