Tuesday, January 26, 2010

An invaluable lesson

Its two post Tuesday! I have another thing I wanted to mention, and it certainly does not belong with the recipe post, so I thought I'd just do another post.

This morning I was roused from my sleep by my husband with breakfast in hand. (yes, this is how I always wake up) I sat up, took one sip of my juice and promptly puked all over myself. Now, why am I sharing the gory details? There is a lesson to be learned! The reason that my stomach rejected even the smallest amounts of nutrients was because it was hollow. Totally empty. Cavernous. I usually eat a snack before bed, but I thought my 1/2 a bannana and Peanut Butter at 8:30pm would hold me over. I was wrong. If you're in early pregnancy (and probably all throughout pregnancy but I can't speak for those terms yet) it is imperative to never let your stomach get empty.

I had a friend that told me towards the end of her 1st trimester she got to the point that she would wake up, puke, then go on with her day. I'm tellin you, this is preventable! If you find yourself waking up severely nauseous it is probably because you're hungry! My friend Amiee, on the other hand used to get up in the middle of the night to eat. I HATE getting up in the middle of the night, but this is actually a really good plan because I bet she never woke up and puked. (If you read this Amiee, please confirm). Like I said, I usually have a snack right before I sleep and that works fine for me. I'm talking, eat in bed right before I turn out the light. It should be substantial, i.e. a bowl of cereal, pb and banana, pb toast, something with some protein. A handful of dry cheerios may not cut it because this has to last the 8 hours that you are asleep.

So, lesson learned.

2 comments:

  1. I remember Amiee telling me that. It's weird. Everyone is so different. I never threw up once with either pregnancy, and I never ate late at night or multiple times throughout the day or anything like that. Thanks for your interesting posts. You are delving into pregnancy and helping me to reflect on mine...with another one coming sometime soon, I might learn something new!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Everyone is SO different. I never ate anything during the night and woke up fine. However, it was usually an hour or so after lunch and/or supper that I had issues. I could never pinpoint what caused me to run to bathroom. However, I have a weak stomach...

    ReplyDelete