Tuesday, January 5, 2010

Tasty Tuesday

Each Tuesday I plan to share a recipe. These recipes will be vegetarian, and more than likely not my own because I'm just a cook, not a chef. If I know the source of the recipe I will give credit, and if I don't, then I don't. If you happen to own any of the recipes I post and do not want me to post them, please send me a message and I will happily remove it.

My first recipe is slightly odd, but delicious all the same. It features ingredients you probably wouldn't normally mix, with an Indian spice flare. I love, love, love, (love, love) sweet potatoes and chickpeas, and I just happened to have found a recipe that combines the two! My husband and I both love this dish, and its easy!

Sweet Potato Chickpea Curry
1/2 a large onion
1 tsp olive oil
1 tbsp curry powder
1 tsp cumin powder
1 tsp cinnamon
10 oz fresh spinach, chopped
2 large sweet potatoes, peeled and chopped into bite-size pieces
1 can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
1 can diced tomatoes
1/4 c fresh cilantro

Bake sweet potatoes in oven until not quite done.
Meanwhile saute onions in oil over medium heat until they soften and caramelize a bit. Add all the spices to the onions, stir until fragrant. Add tomatoes with their juice and the chickpeas. Add 1/2 c of water, mix well, and bring to a simmer for a few minutes. Add sweet potatoes and spinach, cover until spinach is wilted and sweet potatoes are entirely tender. (You can taste here, and add any more spices if you want, I like mine very curry). Transfer to a serving dish and toss with Cilantro.
Serve over brown rice.

Nutrition: A ton of vitamin A, vitamins B6, C, K, Calcium, Iron, Folate, Thiamin, Riboflavin, Niacin, Protein, and Fiber

2 comments:

  1. We like Indian food. I'm not a fan of sweet potatoes, but I think with the spices and onions I might give this a go. Gav wants to make an easy curry, so I may have him make this! Thanks for the recipe! Keep 'em coming!

    ReplyDelete
  2. OMG! I didn't know you were pregnant! Congrats girl!!! I'll definitely be following your blog. While I can't do without my meat, I too am going natural this time. I also watched "The Business of Being Born", as well as a pile of books, so yeah..I'm sold too:) I'm due in a month, so I'll letcha know how it goes!

    ReplyDelete