Tuesday, May 4, 2010

Tasty Tuesday - Rice and Black Bean Casserole


Here's a new casserole from Cathe Olson's The Vegetarian Mother's Cookbook. It was super easy (requires no chopping of anything!) and darn tasty. If you already have your rice cooked, it will take absolutely no time at all to throw this together. I modified it a bit, and will include my modifications in my recipe.

Rice and Black Bean Casserole
Rice + Beans makes a complete protein. I added spinach because I thought it needed a vegetable (salsa does not count as a vegetable!), cheese, and sour cream (or creme fraiche) in the mixture to give it more of a casserole consistency, and I added a bit of chipotle chili powder. Give this one a try, you'll love it!

3 cups cooked brown rice
1 can black beans, drained and rinsed
3/4 to 1 cup grated cheddar or Monterrey Jack cheese
1/2 cup chunky salsa
1/4 cup sour cream
1 cup corn
1 cup baby spinach, or regular spinach chopped
2 tsp chili powder

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F, and grease a 9x9 casserole dish. Combine all ingredients except 1/2 cup of the cheese in a large mixing bowl. Spoon mixture into casserole dish and sprinkle the remaining cheese on top. Bake for 15 - 20 minutes until cheese is bubbly.

1 comment:

  1. OMG! I'm making this when we get back from Vienna. Not only does it look incredibly yummy, but I think it would be pretty cheap to make, too! I love the recipes you post. I may have to get you to just email me a bunch of them. We're trying to have at least 2 vegetarian dinners a week. I think your spinach addition is a good one. I LOVE spinach! Do you think cumin would be good in this too?

    ReplyDelete