Saturday, June 4, 2011

Cloth Considerations for the Crawler

You may remember my post on cloth diapers and their benefits including the financial, environmental, and health considerations. Now that my baby is active and mobile, I have a few more things to ponder when choosing a diaper.

I chose a type of cloth diaper that was the cheapest, basically. I found the covers and prefolds option to be easy enough and the financial savings is significant. However, now that I have a very active ten month old who can hardly sit still, I find myself longing for an All-In-One or pocket diaper as opposed to prefolds and covers. My baby absolutely will not lie on her back ever since she started crawling. I'm sure diaper changes become a problem for many parents of nine month olds; my neighbor's daughter screams through every diaper change now! But it is especially hard to get a prefold to sit in a cover, arrange the prefold and snap the cover around all while my baby is trying to roll over and crawl away. An All-In-One or a pre-stuffed pocket diaper would cut out the extra step of arranging a prefold, thus, hopefully, becoming a little easier to strap the thing on the little wiggle worm.

I'm pretty sure I'm going to go ahead and invest in three pocket diapers just for night time. Her night time diaper is extremely bulky and the wiggling makes it darn near impossible to put on. I'm hoping it will also cut down on the bulk.

So my advice - cloth diapers still rock! But if I could do it over again, and had the money, I'd get pocket diapers for sure.

1 comment:

  1. I love my pockets. That's all I've ever used. I have mostly BG 3.0, a few new BG 4.0 prints, and a friend just gave me her very slightly used (maybe two times used!) Blueberries. The blueberries have a hemp/cotton combo insert, and I think I'm liking those the best for the nighttime. It may be that they're not as worn out as my BG's inserts (they're 2 1/2 yrs old now), but I've heard that hemp absorbs a little better than microfiber. I do like my new 4.0 for bedtime too. Good luck with choosing. There are so many that it could make your head spin!

    ReplyDelete