Thursday, May 26, 2011

Soaking Whole Grains

I've been interested lately in soaking or sprouting grains. I've read a few things, and generally become overwhelmed. I tried sprouting brown rice once, and nothing happened. There are tons of "how to's" on sprouting grains - each one seems long and convoluted. I just discovered there is a difference between soaking grains and sprouting grains. Soaking grains is easier than sprouting grains, and mimics the sprouting process, though probably does not attain the same results. I'm going to go for soaking, for now.

Soaking seems to be a little controversial. Some people say it is the only way the body can digest grains, others say that it is a big fat waste of time. The following "why's" of soaking grains I found on the blog Kitchen Stewardship. She studies soaking and sprouting in depth, if you are interested.

Grains are nothing more than seeds. If you've ever seen baby poop after a baby has eaten blackberries, or various mammal poop on a nature hike, then you know seeds do not get digested. They come out the way they came in. The body has enzymes specifically to inhibit the digestion of these seeds. Little nutrition is rendered from the grain. Sprouts, however, are vegetables and very nutritious. Sprouting grains essentially turns it from a seed to a vegetable. Grains also have enzymes, phytic acid, that prohibits digestion. This Phytic acid prevents the grain from premature sprouting. Consuming too much phytic acid can cause mineral deficiencies and poor bone density. Soaking and sprouting grains breaks down phytic acid. There is also some suggestion that soaking begins the digestion process thus breaking down tannins that can irritate the stomach and it also starts to break down proteins like gluten. Soaked grains are often more tolerable to those with gluten sensitivities.

By the way, this applies for all beans, legumes, seeds, and NUTS! as these are all seeds. I hardly prepare beans from their dry form (using mostly canned) but I really should get into dry beans. Nuts are a whole other subject. Apparently they too contain phytic acid... maybe another day.

Soaking grains mimics sprouting grains, and I think soaking is easier and faster. Here is the process I'm going to follow:

What you need:
Your grain - must be a whole grain (brown rice, oats, etc.)
An acidic medium
Water
A jar

1. Combine the grains with the appropriate amount of water plus 1 Tbs of acidic medium per cup liquid.

2. For brown rice, for example, combine 1 cup rice with 2 cups water and 2 Tbs lemon juice or vinegar.

3. Allow to soak at room temperature (or above) for 7-24 hours, depending on the grain. Rice needs only 7 hours minimum, oatmeal 12-24. Aim for an overnight soak.

4. Simply cook as normal on the stovetop. If you'd like to rinse the soaking water off your grains, and they are still whole enough to be able to, you may.

I've noticed that people use yogurt, kefir, or whey to soak oats, and I've also seen people use Apple Cider Vinegar for rice and whatnot. I guess it doesn't matter what acid you use.

I'll post an update when I get this right. I soaked my oatmeal last night, but I soaked it in the refrigerator, which is apparently wrong. Because I was soaking it with yogurt, I thought it would get funky. I guess you WANT it to get funky because you are trying to ferment the grain. Will try again tonight.

If you have anything to add, I got anything wrong, or have suggestions, please leave a comment. I'm just trying to navigate my way through sprouting and soaking!

No comments:

Post a Comment