Thursday, July 15, 2010

Optimal Fetal Positioning - Part 2

Part 2, of OFP is what I have learned of how to discover your baby's position. It can only be successfully done the last two months of pregnancy.

Vertex or Breech?
An overwhelming majority of babies end up vertex (head down) with no effort from the mother. Babies are just tiny people who just want to be comfortable. Head down happens to be the most comfortable position because of the shape of the uterus and the shape of the pelvis. Their little heads fit perfectly in the low uterus and pelvis. Also - Gravity! The head is the heaviest part of a baby and therefore tips down.

Fortunately, you do not need an ultrasound to learn if your baby is head down! I have discovered four ways to tell that my baby is vertex. First, my midwife and my chiropractor can feel my baby's head just above my pubic bone. I actually can not feel this, and Patrick is too afraid he'd poke an eye out, that he hasn't felt for the head, but I know both of my care providers can identify a head within 2 seconds of feeling. This is sure to be the head because a butt is not going to fit nice and compact just above the pubic bone.

Secondly, you can easily find your baby's bottom by feeling around the upper part of your uterus. I can almost always identify the butt by giving a good feel on either the upper left or upper right side of my uterus. You can tell if this round body part is the head or butt by giving it a push. If you push on this lump, and you can feel the entire baby move (I often feel a push on my bladder, or pressure down low from pushing the baby) then its a butt. If you push on a bottom, the whole baby will move, if you push on a head, the head will just loll back and not move the whole body.

Third, I can identify my baby is vertex, and left lying by where I feel kicks. Kicks are much firmer and stronger than hands, which wiggle. I feel all kicks either in my right ribs or just below my right ribs. I think my baby is small, though, so a larger baby's feet might be wrapping around and you will feel kicks lower and further to the side of your body.

And finally, where the heartbeat was heard last will tell you the position of the baby. Mary Anne can find the heartbeat low on my abdomen on the left side. This shows a vertex, left lying baby.


Left or Right lying baby? Give a Feel.I can most always figure out what position my baby is in while feeling my belly while lying on my back. Lying flat on a bed or the floor, put your right hand flat against the right side of your stomach (so your palm will be against the side of your belly) and push on the left side with your left hand. With the hand that is pushing - do you feel a lot of resistance? Does it feel rather soft? Now switch, put left hand on left side and push with right hand. You should be able to tell which side has less "give". You can most likely determine what side the baby is, this way. You can also often feel the back of your baby when you are doing this.

Another way is where the heartbeat is heard, as mentioned above.

Anterior or Posterior
Now that you've discovered if your baby is vertex, and which side of your body she is lying, you can find if she is anterior or posterior. If you clearly felt the back with the method above, then she is most likely anterior. If you think about how a posterior baby is positioned, you can visualize that her back will be toward your back and so you may not be able to feel her back so well. Also, where you feel kicks and wiggles is a good indication. If you feel a lot of kicking and punching out towards the front of your belly, or can see feet pushing out like popcorn towards the front of your belly, she may be lying posterior.

I think its easier to tell when the baby is NOT posterior as opposed to when the baby IS posterior. If you can clearly feel a back, and can feel kicks in or under your ribs, or if you feel kicks way out to the side of your body, then the baby is more than likely anterior.

If you need a visualization, hold a stuffed bear or baby doll upside down against your belly as if it were your baby in utero. Head down, bottom to one side, feet to the other side rotate the bear posterior or anterior and see where the feet go. So when you feel kicks you can think about the stuffed bear and determine the baby's position.


www.spinningbabies.com/baby-positions/belly-mapping

2 comments:

  1. I also can tell where his back is when he has hiccups, it's always on my left side popping out. I even felt his heartbeat, I place my hand on my left side where I felt him and it was moving in a heartbeat motion :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the clear explanation to find out about anterior baby :)

    ReplyDelete