Tuesday, June 22, 2010

Tasty Tuesday - Tofu Noodle Soup


Why, oh why, am I eating soup when its 95 degrees outside?? Because Patrick likes this soup enough to eat it in 95 degrees. This was a great soup in my first trimester since it is easy on the tummy. Plus, it is a very quick-cooking soup. I used Tyler Florence's Chicken Noodle Soup Recipe and just took out the chicken and added tofu! (BTW, my broth was not green in person. I think its just the red bowl.)

Tofu Noodle Soup

1-2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
1 medium onion, chopped
3 garlic cloves, minced
2 medium carrots, cut diagonally into 1/2-inch-thick slices
2 celery ribs, halved lengthwise, and cut into 1/2-inch-thick slices
4 fresh thyme sprigs (I used dried)
1 bay leaf
2 quarts no-chicken stock*
8 ounces dried wide egg noodles (we found whole-wheat)
1 package of tofu, pressed
Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
1 handful fresh flat-leaf parsley, finely chopped


Place a soup pot over medium heat and coat with the oil. Add the onion, garlic, carrots, celery, thyme and bay leaf. Cook and stir for about 6 minutes, until the vegetables are softened but not browned. Pour in the stock and bring the liquid to a boil. Add the noodles and simmer for 5 minutes until tender. Fold in the tofu, and continue to simmer for another couple of minutes to heat through; season with salt and pepper. Sprinkle with chopped parsley before serving.

*The brand, Imagine, makes a great no-chicken broth that is vegetable based but it does taste a lot like chicken broth. Otherwise you can just use veggie broth.

1 comment:

  1. Well, I can't eat tofu, as you know, but now I really want chicken soup, and it's not 95 degrees here. I may have to put this on the menu (with chicken instead of tofu) next week if it'll be rainy and icky like it is today! Also, I've tried at least two of your recipes on here (maybe 3??) and they were SO GOOD!

    ReplyDelete