Monday, February 8, 2010

My First Child

My first child is actually not my current bun in the oven.
That's right.
I have another child.

He's orange, furry, and slightly rotund. He loves tuna, a good nap, and a long rub on the chin. His name is Oliver, and yes, he's feline.

I can't possibly go on with this blog without writing a somewhat obsessive post about my dear kitty because he's just a part of me. If you know me, you know Oliver.

I adopted Oliver in College Station, TX from an animal shelter in 2002. He was 8 weeks old, and he actually picked me. I was at the shelter, looking at a kennel full of orange kittens. All I really wanted out of life was a big fat orange cat, and I was wondering which of these tiny kittens might grow up to be a "big fat orange cat". I sifted through the kittens and picked up would-be-Oliver and he lunged at me, latching himself onto my face. I, slightly panicked to have 20 tiny claws in various parts of my neck, cheek, and hair, wondered how extensive the damage would be if I pryed him off. I decided it was too risky, and pointing at my face said "I'll take this one."

One by one, his claws retracted and I had to hand him over to the staff, who's policy was to whisk him away to the vet to get shots and to have him fixed. So, the next day, I picked him up from the vet, brought him home, and he immediately fell asleep nestled against my neck. He never had a freak out moment again like in the shelter, so I assume it was because of the chaos and dogs barking, because once I got him home, he made himself right at home and we instantly bonded. He has slept snuggled up against my back pretty well every night for the last 7 years. When he was a baby, I was afraid I might roll over on him and suffocate him. Now, I'm afraid he might roll over on me. As you can see, he met and exceeded my expectations of being large, and orange. He's 3 feet long from head to tail and weighs 22 pounds. Yes, he could afford to lose a few pounds, but a even a svelte Oliver would probably be about 16 pounds. He's just a big kitty. The better to keep me warm.

He's been through college, grad school, 5 moves, countless road trips, a year long stint in Kansas City, a second rather surly kitty, my marriage, and now he'll have a human baby to contend with. I think he'll be a great big brother though!

1 comment:

  1. Hey, that memory makes me think of Oliver trying to get at birds in a cage. VERY FUNNY! :D

    ReplyDelete