Wednesday, May 30, 2012
Curing a sinus infection naturally
Here's what works and what doesn't for me. Any number of these remedies might work for you depending on the severity and the cause of your congestion.
Worked for me:
Boil a pot of water and remove it from the stove. Add 3 or 4 drops of tea tree oil. Cover your head and pot with a towel and inhale (as much as you can). You will need to inhale for 5 to 10 minutes. This helped, but only for 10 or 15 minutes, then the congestion was back.
Didn't work for me (but may for other types of congestion):
- Neti Pot - this is great if you have allergies and need to flush something out of your nose. It is also good to use if you have a sinus infection to keep the mucus moving.
- Stinging Nettle - this only works if you have a true allergy. Take capsules or drink tea. Can be taken regularly through allergy season to avoid allergy flare ups.
- Bamboo Extract - I have no idea what this was supposed to do, but I went to my herbalist in a state of desperation asking for something that will "clear my nose and do it TODAY." I choked up the $42 and took it for 3 days and it did nothing to clear my congestion Maybe it would help to get over the cold, but I don't know. Bamboo extract should not be taken during pregnancy.
- Saline Spray - Good for "light" congestion associated with pregnancy or allergies. Doesn't help for inflamed sinus passages like I have.
For the infection:
Another GSE option is to use it in a Neti Pot. Add 2 or 3 drops to your pot and flush. Do this every hour.
I also think you should take GSE internally. You can get capsules or take the liquid in some sort of beverage. It tastes terrible so you need a strong beverage (perhaps some decaf coffee). Take this several times a day.
- Avoid dairy like the plague. Dairy thickens your mucus and it will make you so much more miserable. I know, I ate frozen yogurt one night and the congestion was instantly magnified.
- Take something to thin your mucus. Fenugreek thins mucus and moves it out of the body (not to be used during pregnancy, but is great while lactating). Warm lemon water or apple cider vinegar does too. Squeeze a whole lemon into 8 oz of water. Sweeten with stevia and drink regularly. Or add 2 tbspns of ACV to 8 oz of water and drink. I didn't do the ACV, but I've read it thins mucus quite well. You need your mucus thin and watery not thick, slimy, and green.
- Drink lots of water. That will thin your mucus too.
- Avoid sugar. Sugar weakens your immune system and if you have an infection, sugar will feed it.
- Take an immune booster. Astragulus or Black Elderberry, and always take Vitamin C. Echinacea is a good option too.
Internal infections are really hard to get rid of naturally. You'll have to really be persistent and throw some good stuff at it. But it can be done. I'm still trying to get rid of mine, and I've been taking the GSE for 5 days now. If you know of any other suggestions, I'd love to hear them.