Sunday, April 10, 2011

Got Stains?

I've always known the sun was a powerful stain remover, but I was wowed this week.

As a teenager, I had white athletic shoes that we would wash in the washing machine, rub salt all over them while still wet and set them in the sun. When dry, they came out so white I thought I was going blind!

Fast forward, and we use the sun to get poopy stains out of our cloth diapers. We hang them out on a line to save on energy drying them, but the sun removes ALL the stains. No matter how yellow, no matter how old.

Recently we purchased a cute bowl with a suction cup on the bottom for Mary Abilene's foods. We put tomato based vegetable soup in it and it got the dreaded tomato stain on the suction cup. I scrubbed, I vinegared, but to no avail. Then it dawned on me - why couldn't the sun remove this stain too? Laid it out there, and POOF! No more tomato stain!

I find myself looking around the house for things I can set out in the sun. The blade of my food processor is stained yellow from turmeric. Out in the sun it goes!!

The before and after of my food processor blade

I just love it! I knew of the sun's ability to remove stains from clothes, but plastic!? Amazing! Look around at your own house. Challenge the sun for all of your stains. You'll soon find that bleach and other stain removers will have no place in your cleaning repertoire.

No comments:

Post a Comment