Thursday, March 17, 2011

My milk supply is a garden.

"Milk supply is not something you can just spontaneously lose, like a set of keys or a pair of glasses. It's more like a garden. Neglect it, by limiting feedings or supplementing with formula, and it will wither. Tend it, by feeding on demand, and it will flourish."

That was a great quote I found on a message board. I have no idea who the poster is, but I wanted to share it.

If you have or plan on breastfeeding it seems all the rage is "will I have enough milk?" or "is my supply dropping?" I just finished reading (probably three times) The Womanly Art of Breastfeeding. It is a beautiful, timeless book by La Leche League International. I know a lot of people think the LLL is a little weird, but maybe that is because they have not read the book. It is a beautiful description and comprehensive problem solver on all things breastfeeding. If anyone knows how to nurse, its the LLL. They stress on demand feeding for a healthy milk supply. The hormones that make milk are absolutely amazing. They respond perfectly to YOUR baby. It is supply and demand at its finest. Restrict the demand by watching the clock or substituting yourself with a pacifier and you might have supply problems. The first several months of a newborn's life are crucial to the mother's milk supply for the entire nursing relationship. The first weeks and months "set" the milk supply. Restrict feedings for whatever reason and the mother may not be able to keep up with her baby's need in the months to come. Of course there can be other reasons for a low milk supply than not nursing on demand, there is a good list here. The book covers this and has suggestions for increasing supply. One thing I found very interesting is that, according to the book, more women have an oversupply than undersupply. This is also covered, with suggestions.

The book covers so many subjects, with sections on nursing according to age, starting solids, sleep, weaning, and a pretty good problem solving chapter. But its main point centers around On Demand feeding. It seems that is the only way to keep a baby happily nursing for one, two, or more years. I loved this extremely well written book. It made me happy, it made me cry, and it made my love for my baby bubble up and spill over every time I read it. If you have nursed, are nursing, or think you might nurse, this is the only book you need.

The Womanly Art of Breastfeeding by Diane Wiessinger, La Leche League International, Diana West, Teresa Pitman

2 comments:

  1. I LOVED this book. I think I will even take it with me for Ninja's birth just so I have it afterwards as a safety net. I loved that it was easy to read, made tons of sense, and wasn't judgmental or militant about the views. I also love the parts about pumping, because I'll have to do that once I go back to work full-time. The great thing about that part is that it never says you can't do it or you'll have to supplement. It just gives good tips and advice!

    ReplyDelete
  2. My lactation consultant told me it's not uncommon for your milk supply to drop when you are exclusively pumping. It happened to me. She recommended Breastea and it has increased my supply alot. You want to make sure you are pumping every 2 to 3 hours and every 4 overnight.

    ReplyDelete